Open Enrollment: 10 Tips to Ensure a Smooth Process
There have been many changes to the workforce due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, open enrollment has always stayed the same and many HR professionals struggle with navigating the process. It can be quite confusing and hard to handle if not done properly. We sat down with our Benefits Administrator, Tina Baines, as she explains key tips for a smooth open enrollment process.
Below are 10 tips to ensure your open enrollment process is easy, efficient and a positive experience for your employees:
- Start Planning Early – prepare ahead of time, the earlier the better
- Be Aware of Benefits and Law Changes – keep up with the ever-changing healthcare requirements and communication obligations to avoid fines for your organization
- Communicate Often – Emails, Information Sessions, Texts, Informational flyers, videos, deadlines
- Highlight Major Benefit Changes – highlight additions or changes to your benefits from the previous year
- Examples – Share realistic examples
- Make it Easy – Make it simple and easy to understand
- Take advantage of Technology – Test technology, ensure the process is user friendly, and see if there are any challenges
- Commit to monitoring enrollment so that you can intervene and assist before it’s too late
- Gear up for Post-Open Enrollment – cover details on what to expect post Open Enrollment like receiving ID cards from carriers/vendors
- Follow up with Carriers/Vendors – once Open Enrollment closes, make sure to audit soon after to ensure there are no discrepancies
Whether your open enrollment is just around the corner or you have several months to prepare, follow these tips to help improve your employee’s overall experience with open enrollment. Remember that communication is key, and it is important to make sure your employees have all the information they need to make the process seamless.
For more tips on HR strategies, click here.